Selwyn specializes in commercial litigation and arbitration including handling commercial disputes in the Hong Kong courts, the PRC courts and CIETAC, regulatory matters involving the Securities and Futures Commission of Hong Kong, disputes relating to financial services, shareholders’ disputes, contractual disputes relating to international trade, defective goods and debt recovery matters, and intellectual property enforcement matters in the PRC.
Selwyn was admitted as a Solicitor in Hong Kong in 2003 and England and Wales in 2004. Prior to joining OLN in 2013, Selwyn was a Senior Associate with the Dispute Resolution Team of Barlow Lyde & Gilbert (and thereafter Clyde & Co pursuant to their merger in November 2011).
Selwyn was accredited by the Law Society of Hong Kong as a General Mediator in 2009 and completed the Approved Training Programme of the Financial Dispute Resolution Centre of Hong Kong in 2012. Selwyn also became a member of the General Mediator panel of the Hong Kong Mediation Accreditation Association Limited (HKMAAL) in 2013. He has mediated a number of disputes.
He is fluent in English, Putonghua/Mandarin and Cantonese.
- Representing a shareholder in successfully opposing the appointment of provisional liquidators in a winding up petition
- Defending an individual investor in a prosecution by the Securities and Futures Commission for false trading involving warrants and callable bull/bear contracts during the pre-opening session
- Defending a US media company in a claim by its previous PRC partner in the Beijing No.2 Intermediate People's Court for breach of copyright, false promotion and commercial slander.
- Defending a Swiss pharmaceutical company in a CIETAC Beijing arbitration initiated by its Beijing partner for breach of confidence, resulting in the Claimant withdrawing its claim after the CIETAC hearing.
- Representing a Europe-based professional institutional investor in its claim against a Hong Kong investment advisor for breaches of contract and negligence.
- Defending a Big Four accounting firm in the liquidators' application for provision of accounting books and records.
- Commencing a claim on behalf of a well-known US MNC and its Hong Kong arm against a Hong Kong manufacturer for defective coffee makers that were recalled in the US.
- Representing a global fashion brand in an application for cancellation of a trade mark registered in Hong Kong in bad faith by its Taiwanese competitor.
- Acting for an international food manufacturing company on PRC and Hong Kong trademark infringement and enforcement actions.
- Obtaining an interim injunction for a Hong Kong financial printer against its former employee for disclosure of confidential information and for delivery up.